My Space

My Space
Inside my little tent

Raining Cats and Dogs ... possums, armadillos, raccoons ...etc.

It's week 3 and I've been tested with 2 very rainy nights. Monday it rained hard and steady from about 6:00 p.m. till 2:00 a.m. My tent was dry and my tarp covered patio was fairly dry. The rain would pool up on top of the tarp and occasionally run off over the edges in waterfalls that splashed mightly on the concrete sending drops out in a 6 foot radius. I had to prop my feet up on a chair to keep them dry, but I managed. Dinner in the parlor stove on rainy nights is a challenge. There is no inside grate to put food on and the one eye on top is too far above the flame to really heat much at a high temperature. It's OK for warming bath water but to actually boil something would take a raging fire in the stove for a good while. So, Monday night I burned the foil-wrapped packets of meat and vegetables that I put inside the stove on a grate I fashioned out of a grilling basket minus the handle. I did realize my mistake (too close to a too hot flame - duh!!!) and think I can correct it. The menus for cooking on the parlor stove are limited by the cooking area. I do much better on the open fire.
Last night (Wednesday) we had thunderstorms with high winds, lots of lightening and tornado watches. I only knew of the tornado watch when Larry informed me of it after the fact when I woke this morning. During the night at about 11:00 p.m. I did wake and begin to take stock of how appealing my tent might be to a bolt of lightening and decided that most of my rig was fiberglass and nylon so not much of a target. I did begin wonder if my beautiful tall aluminum stove pipe would be in jeapordy. But my tent, stovepipe and I all survived the storm and my tent stayed dry and I slept "most" of the night. I did wake a little grouchy and my husband realized he'd better give me clearance for a bit.
I think week three is grinding on me a bit. I realize that I have already answered my question of "Can I do it?" with a "Yes!", but now I must continue on to determine the answer to the question "Would I want to live like this - and to what degree?" I'm sure there are other questions that I did not have in the beginning that will come to me as I proceed and those will be probably more important than the first two. So I gotta keep goin' and experience everything in it's fullness.
(Or I could chunk it all now and sleep on sheets that don't feel moist and see things more than just dimly after dark, and eat a meal that isn't tinged with woodsmoke, and snuggle on the couch with my hubby and watch an episode of "Heros" or "House", and not face the daily anxiety of wondering if the neighbor lady will creep over to my fence and try to figure out what the heck are those strange watery sounds coming from the other side of her fence in the mornings (it's the 2 G bath)

No, I think I'll keep going.
Later friends,
Kate

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate!

I just read through your blog and I think you are doing a great job! I know you are having some rough days dealing with the trials and tribulations of dealing with living in a tent.

So maybe here is some food for thought:

If you did decided to go live off the grid, you probably would choose a structure a bit more durable than a nylon tent. Whether that would be Wall-Tent or a log cabin, I'm not sure.

Also your structure would probably be bigger, big enough to enclose a small wood stove which would help keep your bedding and clothes from feeling damp due to the dry heat in relatively small space.

You could also go get a kerosene lamp which would be normal part of off-grid living and this too would give a lot more light than candles and can heat a small room all by itself.

So I hope you feel successful in your experiment! Your husband sounds wonderfully helpful and supportive! I can't wait to read more!

Mindy said...

Yes, yes!! Keep going!!! I'm 100% supporting this, and I think I should probably come and take pictures... tonight?! You already have a lot of good ones though... you need more?

Good for you, Kate! Keep writing and I'll keep reading!

Anonymous said...

Hope this comment comes through. Wow! Love the pictures. I'm so proud of my little sister. Who else would have the courage or fortitude to do such a thing? Surely, not I. The weather alone would be enough to get me back indoors, let alone the bath routine.

You rock!! Love Pat

Kathryn Miller said...

Alee,
Thanks for the input and you are absolutely right. I keep reminding myself of some of the points you mentioned as I struggle. A plausible/and my ideal senerio would include a pitcher pump at an indoor sink or gravity fed cistern water storage, a spring house for refridgeration or at least a good root cellar, a larger more secure shelter, a good wood stove with an oven and cooking surface, and yes maybe even a couple of kerosene lamps. My current experimental set up was about all I could accomplish in a small amount of space with a very small budget and limitied time to prepare.
I do have an extremely supportive and very cool husband. (My teenaged daughter on otherhand in now convinced that I'm completely insane and is thinking of changing her last name.)
Thanks again for your comment

Kathryn Miller said...

Mindy,
Yes, more photos would be great.
Preferrably ones that tend to shrink rather than expand the perception of the hips - thank you very much.
I believe I will keep going - it sure helps to have cheerleaders.
Love ya,

Kathryn Miller said...

Sis,
Thanks for the encourgement. Yes, you are courageous! All of the daughters of the great and wonderful Eunice are courageous.
There is an image, like an icon in my brain of Mom as a quiet, yet strong and life-loving young woman astride a motorcycle riding westward with her dark hair flying out behind her. She told me that had been her dream before she married. That story has always inspired me and I see her image like an crest on a banner that I would carry if I were to go into battle.
Woooo! Waxing poetic now, aren't I!
Love you,

Anonymous said...

When the lightening was flashing here the other night, I wondered how you were feeling. Big weather helps me be aware of God. Can't wait to hear what you learn about yourself as the time goes on...

Anonymous said...

When Jake told me his mom was preparing to live in the backyard, I thought, "Why am I not more surprised by this news?" Now that I have finally gotten a chance to read your blog and my logistical questions have been answered, I think you are incredibly determined and brave! You are the only person I know that would and could commit to such a cool and trying project. Next week when Jake is off, we will bring a very nice dinner and wine and join you in your "habitat" for the evening =).

Kathryn Miller said...

Anonymous,
I admit that I did not think much about myself in the middle of the thunderstorm but more about the weather resistance of the the tent. Maybe I did wonder a bit about what it would really feel like to be struck by lightening. I wondered if perhaps I would gain some slightly superhuman and inexplicable powers by being stuck (that is if I survived). In terms of reflecting on God during the storm - no, I have to admit that I did not. In retrospect, I do think the storm makes me realize how small I am and how big God is ... how fragile and fleeting my life is in the scope of eternity.
Maybe I'll learn something more important as time goes one.
Thank for your interest and comments.

Kathryn Miller said...

Heather,
Thanks for your support. I was afraid that you would completely disown our family after this, but I'm glad you have a sense of understanding my quest.
I do SO MUCH look forward to your visit and even without the food and wine I would be glad to have you in my little outpost world,
BUT, the food and wine will be greatly appreciated!